Jalapeno Mustard Barbequed Chicken
Take your barbequed chicken to a whole new level with the punchy flavours of jalapeno and mustard. This will be a guaranteed crowd pleaser...
Cooking time: Approx. 50 minutes
- 1.8 kg chicken
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 - 2 jalapeno chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 60 ml lime juice
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large handful picked coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt, to taste
- Lime wedges and jalapenos to serve
1. To butterfly the chicken, us a sharp knife or kitchen scissors to cut down either side of the backbone. Remove the backbone. Open the chicken outwards and using a sharp knife, remove the rib bones. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. To make the marinade, place the mustard, jalapeno, lime juice, coriander, ginger, cumin and honey and blend to a smooth paste. Season with salt.
3. Pour the marinade in a large bowl or container. Add the chicken to the marinade and turn to coat. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or for best results, overnight.
4. Preheat the barbeque to medium- high. Grill the chicken for 6 minutes, skin side down, basting occasionally with the marinade.Turn and grill for 6 minute on the other side.
5. Transfer the chicken to a BBQ proof roasting pan and roast in the barbeque with the hood closed for 35 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Pour the extra pan juices over the chicken and serve with some extra lime and jalapenos if desired.